TQ Data Science Webinar
WEBINAR: INTRODUCTION TO DATA SCIENCE for 11 –17 year olds
TechQuest Mentor Moyosore Lawal, facilitated a webinar introducing 11 -17 year olds to Data Science.
The webinar which held on the 9th of May, between 12 noon – 1 pm, was very interactive and educative with over 350 participants in attendance.
To access the webinar:
5 participants from the webinar will be chosen based on the project assignment given at the end of the Webinar (Click here for the assignment). The deadline for the assignment is on the 20th of May, 2020.
Winners will be awarded a ‘Coaching and Mentorship Scholarship’ which will run over the course of 3 months.
Here’s an outline of the session:
- Quick introduction of the Facilitator to motivate the attendees
- An introduction to how machine learning works.
- Implementing a simplified machine learning model.
- An introduction to what data is and how it is stored.
- Understanding missing data, and how to deal with them
- Understanding patterns — A group exercise
- Understanding noisy data.
- Creating a machine learning model
- Applying the model.
- Summary and homework.
Stay tuned to more webinars from TechQuest STEM Academy.
Bio of TechQuest Mentor: Moyosore Lawal
Moyosore Lawal is a data professional that has worked with data in numerous ways and has a well-grounded understanding of data lifecycle. She currently works as a Senior Analytics Associate at Syntelli Solutions in the USA. As a Data Scientist/Engineer, she has managed several successful projects building and implementing predictive models and data solutions for many industries. She earned her M.S. in Data Science and Business Analytics degree from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA, and serves as a mentor for the Computer Department. She is also one of the organizers for a Charlotte-based Data Science and Business Intelligence meetup group.